We’ve all been there: panicking over a mysterious health issue that turns out to be nothing worth worrying about.
We think we’ve lost our mind because we can’t find our phone anywhere… then it was in our hand the entire time.
There’s a mark on our face that could be sun damage… or it’s a smear of chocolate from that ice cream we had earlier.
Be thankful, though, that your confusion didn’t lead to a situation quite as embarrassing as Darian Depreta’s.
Mum Darian was alarmed to see a dark mark suddenly appear on the roof of her daughter’s mouth. After it wouldn’t come off, she made an urgent doctor’s appointment and rushed little Bella to see the GP.
At first Darian was told that Bella must have a birthmark she hadn’t noticed, which the mum knew couldn’t be the case.
Two specialists were called when the nurse decided to take another look… at which point she discovered the mark wasn’t a birth mark or a disturbing growth, but a little piece of cardboard.
‘So I’m playing with Bella today and notice the roof of her mouth is black,’ wrote Darian on Facebook.
‘I try wiping it to see if it would come off, and it didn’t. I immediately call Chandler, my mom and best friend in a panic.
‘I make her a doctors appointment that was about 30 minutes from the time I noticed her mouth.
‘I get to the doctors and the Nurse Practitioner tried to wipe it, and said she had never seen anything like it.
‘She decides to consult with the doctors and they suggest maybe a birthmark. I INSISTED it was not because I always look in her mouth and clean it.
;I’m now being told that my daughter will be set up with two specialists. After insisting it wasn’t a birthmark on the roof of her mouth, the NP decided to take another look at this medical mystery.
‘I point out it looks a little white on the side and she really gets in there trying to scrape it.
‘ONLY TO FIND OUT IT WAS CARDBOARD FROM A BOX BELLA CHEWED STUCK TO THE ROOF OF HER MOUTH.’
As you’d expect, Darian was pretty embarrassed.
‘I can never show my face in that office again,’ she said. ‘I cried/laughed for a solid 5 minutes straight.’
Darian explained that Bella is teething and so tries to chew on everything, and must have found a box to munch on. When she’d seen her chewing the box she took it away and checked her mouth for any small pieces, but just didn’t realise a bit had become stuck.
Thankfully she was able to laugh at the whole embarrassing incident, and shared the story on Facebook, where it’s been shared over 11,000 times.
Parents commented to let Darian know she’s not alone in this sort of embarrassing mixup.
One wrote: ‘I was putting my daughter in the car a few years ago and she put her finger in the door handle where there was a red melted crayon and asked me “what was that?”
‘I completely freaked out like there was a hatchet wound on her finger that was gushing blood all over the door. My reaction was as dramatic as possible!’
Another mum commented: ‘Don’t feel bad! I insisted that Rush had a nasty cavity after I discovered a huge black spot back in his molar that I absolutely could not get out with anything I scraped it with. Turns out it was a strawberry seed.’
Source: Read Full Article